The market hall is located in the center of Eger, only 250 meters from the main square
In the hall, local small producers offer their products: vegetables, fruit, meat, homemade syrups, jams, pickles, artisan dairy products and award-winning honey from the area.
In front of the hall, you can find seedlings, flowers, and medicinal herbs according to the season.
Eger's first spa used to operate on this square! The Balneum Carthusiensium belonged to the Carthusian monks and may have stood somewhere in the southeast corner of the square, on the bank of the stream. Unfortunately, we do not know its exact location, but its existence is mentioned in documented sources as early as 1448. The building was destroyed before the Turkish siege in 1551. Even later, however, there was an interesting thing here! On the site of today's square, on an island surrounded by the Eger stream, stood the Turks' gunpowder mill. The so-called Bárutkhane fortress was built by Mohamed Köprili in 1658. The building stood until 1691, when it was destroyed by an explosion.