Town under the Town, the legendary cellar system of Eger
Following the Turkish occupation bishop György Fenessy having returned to Eger did not want to live in the castle any more, but rather bought two building sites in the civic town and the tuff stones necessary for the construction of the palace were extracted from the hill behind. It proved to be a great idea: on the one hand the palace of the bishop was built, on the other hand a huge cellar system was created under the town having excellent micro-climate to store wine, so the wine received as tithe was started to be stored here. The bishop's cellar system used to strech 3 km long under the town from Hatvani-gate to Rác-gate. The nicest part of the present cellar is Hall with Columns where the 7 by 7 cellar wing system nets the space like a chessboard.
During the tour- Town under the Town - tourists can get acquainted with the history of the town from the estabishment in 1004 to the exode of the Turks in 1687.
- The entrance of the cellar system is in Eszterházy square, in front of the Basilica: on the right side of the staircase, under Saint László statue.
- The last tour starts one hour before closure, with minimum 5 persons.
- The length of the tour is 45-50 minutes.
- The temperature of the cellar is 12 C, so warm clothes are recommended.